ATTN: Unemployment Benefits COVID-19
Filing Your Unemployment Application
You can apply for benefits online 24 hours a day, seven days a week!
If you need personal assistance, contact the Customer Call Center at 888-737-0259
Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, when call volumes are high: Your unemployment application questions can be answered by calling your local NCWorks Career Center – Gaston at (704) 853-5328 and requesting to be put on the “Inquiry Contact List” that is sent to DES. A customer service representative from DES will contact you!
Note: Unemployment applications are NOT filed in person in Gaston County!
If you want to apply online, you must create an “online account” to file an application for Unemployment Insurance online.
Your account also provides access to the Claimant Self-Service Portal, where you can get information about your claim at any time, such as:
• Claim status.
• Payment detail.
• Documents and determinations sent to you regarding your claim.
• Address, payment method, and tax withholding updates.
To create your online account, you will need your Social Security Number and a valid email address.
Create Your Online Account
1. Select Sign Up on the DES webpage link above.
2. Enter your Social Security Number twice.
3. Select 'Next.'
4. You will then reach the 'Account Creation' page. Here you will:
o Create a user name.
o Enter your email address twice.
o Create a pin number.
o Enter your contact phone number.
o Create a password.
5. Select 'Create Account.'
6. After your new account is created, an email will be sent to the email address you provided during your account creation. Select the link in the email to activate the account. The link is only valid for one hour. You can now Sign In to the website using your user name and password.
NOTE: If you don’t have access to a computer, there are computers available for your use at your local NCWorks Career Center located at 1391 Bessemer City Rd, Gastonia, NC.
Unemployment Insurance Changes Due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
The North Carolina Employment Security Division is publishing instructions and guidance on the following webpage: https://des.nc.gov/need-help/covid-19-information to help you understand new changes to the state’s unemployment system, due to the current impacts of the COVID-19 coronavirus in North Carolina.
These changes were ordered by Governor Cooper on Tuesday, March 17, 2020, as outlined in his Executive Order 118.
We are working to ensure that necessary unemployment insurance benefits will be available to eligible North Carolinians affected by job loss due to the COVID-19 coronavirus disease in our state.
On this page, you will find answers and instructions:
• For people seeking to apply for unemployment insurance benefits, due to the COVID-19 situation
• For employers seeking guidance for how to navigate the new changes to the unemployment insurance system
This page will be updated frequently with new information as it becomes available, as we continue to monitor all available data and evaluate its impact on both workers and employers.
For people facing job loss due to the COVID-19 coronavirus situation, Governor Cooper’s Executive Order specifically addresses:
• Individuals who are separated from employment;
• Individuals who have had their work hours reduced,
• Individuals who are prevented from working due to a medical condition or under direct quarantine orders as a result of COVID-19.
If you’re temporarily out of work OR your working hours have been reduced due to COVID-19, file a claim for unemployment benefits online and choose one of those two separation reasons on the screen where you’ll enter and submit your claim information.
As an individual, your eligibility, exact amount of benefits, and duration period of those benefits cannot be determined until after you file and submit your claim.